Sunday, February 20, 2011

Where is my cape?

Watch out Superman, here comes a mom.

Holy macamoni (as Sophie would say) this has been some week.

Thursday I was feeling optimistic. I headed to work, ready for a day of training the guy filling in for me while I'm on leave, catching up on three days worth of work since I was out sick, pick Sophie up in the eventing. La di da. I casually kidded that now that all was well with the sickness at our house I guess the baby could make her appearance. At 1:41p.m. on Thursday I got a call from the daycare. Sophie had crapped up the back again. Crap.

Our daycare lady had cleaned Sophie up as best she could and it took her about 40 minutes to do that but Sophie really needed a bath and they legally can't give her one because of privacy issues, and if she has diarrhea then she needs to be home anyways. Crap.

I packed up and headed home. Daycare also recommended keeping Sophie out of daycare for 24 hours to limit the spread of more germs.

I got her home and into the bathtub. She fought me every step of the way. Plastering herself to the back of the tub where I couldn't really reach her if I tried, fighting not to have her hair washed, fighting not to have a bath at all. So I hoisted my 1/2 naked, 37 week pregnant body into the water to get her clean. Then of course, she didn't want to get out. Once she finally calmed down we got out, dried off, and headed to the grocery store for Popsicles. She had been nearly refusing to eat or drink much at all. I thought Popsicles were a sure fire way to get some fluids in her. She didn't want the Popsicles.

I was feeling worn out. I could feel the baby inside me bearing all her weight down low throughout my womba. My legs were like jello from hip to knee. Please, I can't go into labor now. I called the midwife at 7pm. "Can you just walk me through this? I don't really think I'm going into labor." She recommended a big glass of water, lay down and rest for a while. Yeah, sure. Rest. Hello! I have a sick toddler running around and my husband is out of town. I don't think Dolly (the beagle) would have been much of a babysitter. Sophie and I settled for the couch, put my feet up and one of the best episodes of Top Chef EVER!

Friday we went to work. Sophie was fairly compliant. Some DVDs on the laptop, trips up and down the stairs, play-doh, even a nap. She stuck it out while I waded through a never ending project and took my "I'm almost dones" in stride. Then she leaned into me and declared "I not poopin' mama." And that's when the crap started creeping up her back. Ugh! Not again. I apologized to my office mate, he assured me he'd smelled worse while solo hiking for 72 days. We waddled to the bathroom to clean up. This happened twice on Friday.

Saturday was looking promising. Although she had only peed once or twice on Friday she woke up with a very wet pull-up Saturday morning. Requested a scrambled egg and cheese. Ate that and asked for a second egg. Drank some juice. I was thinking we're in the home stretch of kicking what ever this is that is ailing her. We ran errands, rode various store carts, got new books from the library. She didn't eat lunch. She still hadn't peed again. After a short nap we ventured to Michael's. She seemed happy then pulled a fit out of no where spilling the remants of my coffee on the floorboards. We continued with the trip inside and she apologized to me. When we returned home she wanted to watch Sprout. I happily obliged so I could continue to clean the house.

I don't usually condone watching the tv for hours on end but she was happy and it gave me time to keep cleaning (my nesting is in full swing.) I then started to grow more and more worried. She watched tv for 3.5 hours straight. Zoned out into Chloe's closet, Calliou, The Good Night Show. When queried about dinner she said she didn't want anything. I, being the mom, made her something anyways. Boca nuggets, avocado, and cheese. Three favorites. The only reason she ate any of it is because I FED it to her. Three bites of Boca, two bites of cheese and avocado. Oh, and did I mention she hadn't peed since she WOKE UP?! This is about day 3 or 4 of urinating only once or twice.

No food, not drinking much, not peeing. This on top of the flu earlier in the week and the recent craps up the back had me spinning at this point. And her unusual delight in the tv. I started to panic a bit. I called the Drs. Mom. My mom and mother-in-law. I called to have them tell me all kids do this, I'm overreacting, I need to take her to the ER. Something. Through my tears they helped calm me down and call my old doctor and the new doctor. I called Phillip too so he could worry with me from a few hundred miles away.

The new doctor, whom we haven't seen yet, assured me I had done all the right things. Offered plenty of fluids, try to get her to eat a Popsicle, take her temperature, monitor output. He scheduled an Urgent Care visit for Sunday.

The saga continues.

We went to the Urgent Care appointment today. The doctor wanted to get a urine sample to check for bladder issues or a UTI. We were there for two hours waiting for Sophie to pee. We went to the bathroom twice, swabbed her clean, I anxiously held the pee cup under her hoping for just a few drops. Nothing. I couldn't wait any more. I needed to eat, we had exhausted the bin of toys, I wanted to nap. I told the doctor and nurse we would head home and hope for a sample there that I could drive back over. If she didn't produce a sample by 4pm I would have to take Sophie to the HOSPITAL (remember, my husband is still out of town!) to have them get a sample-via CATHETER! Oh dear lord, please no. I promised Sophie a cookie or candy at Wegman's if she would just pee in the cup! Right before we left the Dr. and Nurse recalled they also wanted to swab for Strep.

Great. I giant Qtip shoved down her throat. This should be fun since we were already exhausted and napless. On the second take they got a culture. We waited in the waiting room. Five minutes later the nurse came's Positive. Sophia has strep throat.

This explains a whole lot. The lack of appetite. Not really wanting to drink. The lack of fluids coming in therefore the lack of fluids going out. And being prescribed antibiotics will also help clear up any possible urinary issues. I wonder how long she has had Strep this week? I hope I don't get it!

Thank god tomorrow is a holiday and we don't have to miss work or school. And my husband will be home. I'm taking tomorrow night off!


Kristen Hampshire said...

YOU need a popcicle!!! :)

Tracey Marzich said...

Oh my!!!! I am feeling for you!!! This was amazing-you are a super hero.

k said...

Oh my sweet Jesus, woman. My bones started to ache with tiredness for you while reading this.

I know it's part of the job and whatnot as mothers, but I really think there are times when medals should be granted. You would SO get one.