Pages

Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Nursing

One of the things I like most about being a mother is nursing my baby. I love the closeness, the warmth, the connection, the ultimate power that I create the food that nourishes my baby.

I love the haphazard, carefree, soft caress of Emma's tiny hand on my breast while she nurses. It's as if she is saying "I love you mama and thanks for making food for me" as she runs her hand back and forth across my bare breast.

As I prepare to go back to work I have found myself starting to fret over my milk supply and miss this constant need she and I both have. I have already noticed a decrease in the amount I am able to pump after a nursing session. I've been vigilant about my water intake and have started fenugreek supplements. And pumping 3-4 times a day between sessions.

My sister and I are training for the Columbus 1/2 marathon in October. Let me rephrase that, she is actively training, I keep debating it in my head. I did my first postpartum work out yesterday. I'm concerned that if I start running big time-like enough to actually commit to the marathon that my milk supply is going to tank.

So what is your advice for keeping up a good milk supply, going back to work, and exercise?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

You paint such a lovely picture of nursing Emma. I just looked on my arms and realized I have tiny bruises where my sweet child pinches me while she nurses. Sigh.

Tips? Pump as much as you can. My supply recently took a dip and I've been drinking water and taking fenugreek, which seems to be helping.

Bethanne said...

There are so many great things about nursing..but I think one of my favorite bits is that I have a built in totally necessary, useful, and relaxing BREAK several times in my day. ...even at work, much as I complain about pumping, I do love the break.

I'm wondering if you're pumping less just because Emma is drinking more....and that this is actually not a negative at all. One thing that I've felt sure of is that if I let myself start to worry about it, I will definitely make less milk. It will just be what it is & whenever the time comes that she gets formula/milk to supplement, you can still keep nursing. Your body knows what it's doing (even if it has to go back to work)!

Do you have a nice pumping bra thingy? I do think those straps are just tooo cow-like & don't help you relax & get in the mood.